Assessment code: 010
Academic Year: 2023/2024
Module Title: Managing Business Operations
Module Code: MOD003345
Module Leader: Adrian Gauci
Word Limit: 2500 words
This excludes bibliography and other items listed in rule 6.83 of the Academic Regulations.
Assessed Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4.
Please refer to the deadline on the VLE
WRITING YOUR ASSIGNMENT:
• This assignment must be completed individually.
• All courses of study must use the Harvard referencing system for written assessments, apart from LLB/LLM courses where OSCOLA should be applied. Please see the below link for guidance: https://library.aru.ac.uk/referencing/referencing.htm
• Your work must indicate the number of words you have used. Written assignments must not exceed the specified maximum number of words. When a written assignment is marked, the excessive use of words beyond the word limit is reflected in the academic judgement of the piece of work which results in a lower mark being awarded for the piece of work (regulation 6.74).
• Assignment submissions are to be made anonymously. Do not write your name anywhere on your work.
• Write your student ID number at the top of every page.
• Where the assignment comprises more than one task, all tasks must be submitted in a single document.
• You must number all pages.
SUBMITTING YOUR ASSIGNMENT:
• In order to achieve full marks, you must submit your work before the deadline. Work that is submitted late – if your work is submitted on the same day as the deadline by midnight, your mark will receive a 10% penalty. If you submit your work up to TWO working days after the published submission deadline – it will be accepted and marked. However, the element of the module’s assessment to which the work contributes will be capped with a maximum mark of 40%.
• Work cannot be submitted if the period of 2 working days after the deadline has passed (unless there is an approved extension). Failure to submit within the relevant period will mean that you have failed the assessment.
• Requests for short-term extensions will only be considered in the case of illness or other cause considered valid by the Director of Studies Team. Please contact DoS@london.aru.ac.uk. A request must normally be received and agreed by the Director of Studies Team in writing at least 24 hours prior to the deadline. Students will need to provide evidence to support their extension request. See rules 6.64-6.73: http://web.anglia.ac.uk/anet/academic/public/academic_regs.pdf
• Exceptional Circumstances: The deadline for submission of exceptional circumstances in relation to this assignment is no later than five working days after the submission date of this work. Please contact the Director of Studies Team – DoS@london.aru.ac.uk. Students will need to provide evidence to support their EC claim. See rules 6.112 – 6.141: http://web.anglia.ac.uk/anet/academic/public/academic_regs.pdf
For this assignment, you are required to individually produce and submit a professionally presented management report of 2,500 words about your selected organisation’s operations, addressing both Tasks 1 and 2 below.
Select a company whose business operations you are very familiar with and that you can easily provide real examples for. Select one organisation from any of the below industries:
• Hospitality e.g. Hotels, Restaurants, Transportation, Events etc
• Retail e.g. High-Street, Online, Supermarkets, Barbers etc
• Manufacturing e.g. Automotive, Construction, Fashion, Food,
• Services e.g. Professional, Financial, Entertainment, Payments,
Imagine you are a new management intern at the operations department in your selected organisation and your line manager has just asked you to produce a management report to help you understand the business operations at this organisation. In your report you must discuss the four operations theories / frameworks AND also apply them to your selected organisation by providing real examples / images.
1. The Input-Transformation-Output framework of operations with all its components at your organisation
2.The 4 Vs Typology of Operations: Volume, Variety, Variation, Visibility and their implications on your selected organisation
3. The 5 Operations Performance Objectives: Quality, Speed, Dependability, Flexibility, Cost for Operations
4. Order-winners and order-qualifiers at your organisation
You are required to provide 2 real industry recommendations to improve the score on any 2 Performance Objectives of Quality, Speed, Dependability, Flexibility and Cost.
These two recommendations must be real and will need to be justified for your organisation so as to benefit the business operations and their customers.
Thus, within your report, you should discuss relevant theoretical concepts and frameworks, and also apply them to your selected organisation.
This will show you understand the role of the operations function in creating a competitive advantage in modern organisations with a strategic approach (LO1). The report will also show an understanding of contemporary operations problems and current techniques to solve contemporary organisational challenges (LO3). The content will also show that you developed practical problem-solving skills and decision making techniques within industry as a framework for a career pathway in operations management. (LO4).
The suggested standard report format should include the following sections:
• A cover page
• An executive summary – 1 page, with brief overview of report content.
• A contents page – 1 page, with all relevant sections and sub-sections
• An introduction – about the selected organisation
• Findings section – as main body with subsections
• A conclusion section – as overall conclusion
• Recommendations – in relation to company
• A reference list – minimum of 8 academic sources in Harvard system.
• Appendices – optional.
A more detailed structure will be provided on the VLE.
Knowledge & Understanding (LO1) of theories / concepts (Skills). – 30 marks.
Research and Application (LO3) by providing industry examples (Content)– 30 marks
Intellectual, practical and transferrable skills (LO4) (Content, Skills) – 30 marks
Report Originality, Structure, Presentation, Referencing. (Skills) – 10 marks
Adam, Everett E., Jr (2015) ‘Assessing Operations Management From A Strategic Perspective’, Journal of management. Southern Management Association, Jun 1989, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p181- 203. 24p.
Barnes, D. (2018) Operations management: an international perspective. London: Palgrave.
Bower, Joseph L. and Gilbert, Clark G. (2007) ‘How Managers' Everyday Decisions Create or Destroy Your Company's Strategy.’, Harvard Business Review. Feb2007, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p72-79. 8p.
Bozarth, C.C. and Handfield, R.B. (2016) Introduction to operations and
supply chain management. Boston: Pearson.
Christensen, Clayton M (no date) ‘Why hard-nosed executives should care about management theory’, Harvard business review. Harvard Business School Press, Oct 2003, Vol. 81 Issue 9, p66-74. 9p.
Collier, D.A. and Evans, J.R. (2017) OM6: Operations and supply chain management. Boston: Cengage Learning.
Hill, A. and Hill, T. (2018a) Essential operations management. London: Palgrave.
Slack N. and Brandon-Jones A. (2019). Operations Management, (9th Edition), London: Pearson.
Slack, N. and Brandon-Jones, A. (2021a) Operations and process management: principles and practice for strategic impact. Harlow, England: Pearson.
The selected company Annual Report, Operations policies, documents – These documents should be specific to your selected organisation
Industry Reports on your selected industry of your selected company.
Students can also consult the main academic journals in the field:
– Production and Operations Management
– Manufacturing & Service Operations Management
– International Journal of Operations & Production Management
– British Journal of Management
– Harvard Business Review
– Sloan Management Review
Please note that the sources listed are expected for your written assessment. These sources will be part of the module and their content is deemed necessary to produce a relevant assessment. Module markers will expect to see them integrated into your work and appropriately referenced.
Failure to include these sources may result in a “Viva Voce” meeting during which you would be required to explain your work and your reasons for not including these key sources.
The work will be assessed in an integrative manner as indicated in the marking rubric, that is consistent with Anglia Ruskin University generic assessment criteria and marking standards
Criteria / Grade 0-29%:
Absent or deficient evidence of knowledge, Absent or deficient evidence of academic/ expressive/ professional skills. 30-39%:
Little evidence of knowledge.
Little evidence or use of scholarly conventions. 40-49%:
Adequate knowledge, use of scholarly conventions inconsistent.
Adequate academic/ expressive/ professional skills. 50-59%:
Sound knowledge, use of scholarly conventions inconsistent. Sound academic/ expressive/ professional skills. 60-69%:
Good analysis- consistent use of scholarly conventions. Good Academic/
Professional skills. 70-79%:
Excellent analysishigh level of intellectual rigour and consistency. Excellent academic/ expressive/ professional skills 80-89%: Outstanding analysis-Work pushes the boundaries of the discipline. Outstanding
Academic/ Expressive/ professional skills and creativity 90-100%:
Exceptional analysis Work pushes the boundaries of the discipline. Exceptional
Academic/ Expressive/ professional skills and creativity
Knowledge and Understanding
Examine and critique the
related to topics
There is deficient or no reference to the theories in operations issue .
Deficient or no knowledge of operations management Limited reference to the operations frameworks and issue in the assignment.
Limited knowledge of transformation process and other
theories Adequate reference to the relevant theories and frameworks. Some adequate relation to the operations of the selected company Sound reference to the main operation theories. Sound knowledge of a operations functions and theories. Good reference to the main operations theories and good use of academic journals and other sources to explain the main theories.
Excellent reference to the theories of operations from several sources with good examples and discussion. Outstanding management of learning resources and outstanding reference to the operations theories. Exceptional management of learning resources and exceptional reference to the operational theories shows high level of knowledge and understanding of such theories.
30 marks 0-8 9-11 12-14 15-17 18-20 21-23 24-26 27-30
Give specific examples from company on the theories to show application. Deficient or no examples from the selected company and industry.
Deficient or no application of the theories. Limited examples
from the selected company and industry.
Limited application of the theories. Adequate evidence of examples from the selected company and industry.
Adequate application of the theories. Sound evidence of examples from the selected company and industry.
Sound application of the theories. Good evidence of many examples from the selected company and industry.
Good application of the theories. Evidence of excellent examples from the selected company and industry.
Excellent application of the theories. Outstanding evidence of examples from the selected company and industry.
Outstanding application of the theories. Exceptional evidence and examples from the selected company and industry.
Exceptional application of the theories.
30 marks 0-8 9-11 12-14 15-17 18-20 21-23 24-26 27-30
Intellectual, practical and There is deficient or no creativity and evaluation for any Limited creativity and evaluation for recommendations or Adequate creativity and evaluation for recommendations or Sound creativity and evaluation for recommendations or Good creativity and evaluation for recommendations or Excellent and comprehensive reference to creativity Outstanding reference to creativity and Exceptional reference to original, creative and evaluative
Be creative and evaluative in suggesting solutions in relation to operation.
recommendations or solutions to the selected company operations. solutions to the selected company operations. solutions to the selected company operations. solutions to the selected company operations. solutions to the selected company operations. and evaluation for recommendations or solutions to the selected company operations. evaluation for
original recommendations or solutions to the selected company operations. recommendations or solutions to the selected company operations.
30 marks 0-8 9-11 12-14 15-17 18-20 21-23 24-26 27-30
Original content and presentation in terms of structure, language and Harvard referencing The appropriate report style has not been used or is largely inaccurate. The Harvard referencing format has not been followed. Very weak academic writing style with numerous grammatical and spelling errors. The appropriate report style has been used, although structure and content is limited. Limited use of the Harvard referencing format
inaccuracies. Limited academic writing style with many grammatical and spelling errors. The appropriate report style has been used with a adequate
adequate content. Adequate use of the Harvard referencing format with numerous inaccuracies.
Adequate academic writing style with many grammatical and spelling errors. The appropriate report style is easy to follow, has been used with a sound structure and sound content. Sound use of the Harvard referencing format with some inaccuracies. Sound academic writing style with some grammatical and spelling errors. A good logical structure with accurate expression and content has been used throughout. Good use of the Harvard referencing format with occasional inaccuracies. Good academic writing style with occasional grammatical and spelling errors. An excellent logical structure with accurate expression and content used throughout. Excellent use of the Harvard referencing format with few inaccuracies. Excellent academic writing style with few grammatical and spelling errors. Outstanding and accurate logical
structure with outstanding expression throughout. Outstanding use of the Harvard referencing format with no inaccuracies. Outstanding academic writing style with no grammatical or spelling errors. Exceptional structure with exceptional expression throughout. Exceptional use of the Harvard referencing format with no inaccuracies. Exceptional academic writing style with no grammatical or spelling errors. Clearly exceeds the assessment brief.
10 marks 0-2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9-10
ANGLIA RUSKIN UNIVERSITY GENERIC ASSESSMENT CRITERIA AND MARKING STANDARDS
Level 6 is characterised by an expectation of students’ increasing autonomy in relation to their study and developing skill sets. Students are expected to demonstrate problem solving skills, both theoretical and practical. This is supported by an understanding of appropriate theory; creativity of expression and thought based in individual judgement; and the ability to seek out, invoke, analyse and evaluate competing theories or methods of working in a critically constructive and open manner. Output is articulate, coherent and skilled in the appropriate medium, with some students producing original or innovative work in their specialism.
Mark Bands Outcome Characteristics of Student Achievement by Marking Band for ARU’s Generic
Learning Outcomes (Academic Regulations, Section 2)
Knowledge & Understanding Intellectual (thinking), Practical, Affective and
100% Achieves module outcome(s) Exceptional information base exploring and analysing the discipline, its theory and ethical issues with extraordinary originality and autonomy. Work may be
considered for publication within ARU Exceptional management of learning resources, with a higher degree of autonomy/exploration that clearly exceeds the assessment brief. Exceptional structure/ accurate expression. Demonstrates intellectual originality and imagination. Exceptional team/practical/professional skills. Work may be considered for publication within ARU
89% Outstanding information base exploring and analysing the discipline, its theory and ethical issues with clear originality and autonomy Outstanding management of learning resources, with a degree of autonomy/exploration that clearly exceeds the assessment brief. An exemplar of structured/accurate expression. Demonstrates intellectual originality and imagination. Outstanding team/practical/professional skills
79% Excellent knowledge base that supports analysis, evaluation and problem-solving in theory/ practice/ethics of discipline with considerable originality Excellent management of learning resources, with degree of autonomy/research that may exceed the assessment brief. Structured and creative expression. Excellent academic/ intellectual skills and practical/team/ professional/ problem-solving skills
69% Good knowledge base that supports analysis, evaluation and problem-solving in theory/ practice/ethics of discipline with some originality Good management of learning resources, with consistent self-directed research. Structured and accurate expression. Good academic/intellectual skills and team/practical/ professional/problem solving skills
59% Sound knowledge base that supports some analysis, evaluation and problemsolving in
theory/practice/ethics of discipline Sound management of learning resources. Some autonomy in research but inconsistent. Structured and mainly accurate expression. Sound level of academic/ intellectual skills going beyond description at times. Sound team/practical/professional/problem-solving skills
49% A marginal pass in
module outcome(s) Adequate knowledge base with some omissions at the level of ethical/ theoretical issues. Restricted ability to discuss theory and/or or solve problems in discipline Adequate use of learning resources with little autonomy. Some difficulties with academic/ intellectual skills. Some difficulty with structure/ accuracy in expression, but evidence of developing team/practical/professional/ problem-solving skills
39% A marginal fail in
qualifying mark Limited knowledge base. Limited understanding of discipline/ethical issues. Difficulty with theory and problem solving in discipline Limited use of learning resources. Unable to work autonomously. Little input to teams. Limited academic/ intellectual skills. Still mainly descriptive. General difficulty with structure/ accuracy in expression. Practical/ professional/problem-solving skills that are not yet secure
29% Fails to achieve module
Qualifying mark not satisfied Little evidence of knowledge base. Little evidence of understanding of discipline/ ethical issues. Significant difficulty with theory and problem solving in discipline Little evidence of use of learning resources. Unable to work autonomously. Little input to teams. Little evidence of academic/ intellectual skills. Work significantly descriptive. Significant difficulty with structure/accuracy in expression. Little evidence of practical/professional/ problem-solving skills
19% Deficient knowledge base. Deficient understanding of discipline/ethical issues. Major difficulty with theory and problem solving in discipline Deficient use of learning resources. Unable to work autonomously. Deficient input to teams. Deficient academic/intellectual skills. Work significantly descriptive. Major difficulty with structure/accuracy in expression. Deficient
9% No evidence of knowledge base; no evidence of understanding of
discipline/ethical issues. Total inability with theory and problem solving in discipline No evidence of use of learning resources. Completely unable to work autonomously. No evidence of input to teams. No evidence of academic/intellectual skills. Work wholly descriptive. Incoherent structure/accuracy and expression. No evidence of practical/professional/ problem-solving skills
0% Awarded for: (i) non-submission; (ii) dangerous practice and; (iii) in situations where the student fails to address the assignment brief (eg: answers the wrong question) and/or related learning outcomes
- WE OFFER THE BEST CUSTOM PAPER WRITING SERVICES. WE HAVE DONE THIS QUESTION BEFORE, WE CAN ALSO DO IT FOR YOU.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS
Looking for unparalleled custom paper writing services? Our team of experienced professionals at AcademicWritersBay.com is here to provide you with top-notch assistance that caters to your unique needs.
We understand the importance of producing original, high-quality papers that reflect your personal voice and meet the rigorous standards of academia. That’s why we assure you that our work is completely plagiarism-free—we craft bespoke solutions tailored exclusively for you.
Why Choose AcademicWritersBay.com?
- Our papers are 100% original, custom-written from scratch.
- We’re here to support you around the clock, any day of the year.
- You’ll find our prices competitive and reasonable.
- We handle papers across all subjects, regardless of urgency or difficulty.
- Need a paper urgently? We can deliver within 6 hours!
- Relax with our on-time delivery commitment.
- We offer money-back and privacy guarantees to ensure your satisfaction and confidentiality.
- Benefit from unlimited amendments upon request to get the paper you envisioned.
- We pledge our dedication to meeting your expectations and achieving the grade you deserve.
Our Process: Getting started with us is as simple as can be. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top or the “Order Now” button at the bottom. You’ll be directed to our order form.
- Provide the specifics of your paper in the “PAPER DETAILS” section.
- Select your academic level, the deadline, and the required number of pages.
- Click on “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to provide your registration details, then “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT.”
- Follow the simple payment instructions and soon, our writers will be hard at work on your paper.
AcademicWritersBay.com is dedicated to expediting the writing process without compromising on quality. Our roster of writers boasts individuals with advanced degrees—Masters and PhDs—in a myriad of disciplines, ensuring that no matter the complexity or field of your assignment, we have the expertise to tackle it with finesse. Our quick turnover doesn’t mean rushed work; it means efficiency and priority handling, ensuring your deadlines are met with the excellence your academics demand.