Learning Goal: I’m working on a business law question and need support to help me learn.
The Supreme Court One Nation Under Law Watch the video link below – read the transcript – Answer and submit via Canvas the Discussion Questions –
Watch this Video
Then answer the discussion questions below and upload the answers in CANVAS
The Supreme Court One Nation Under Law
“It’s known as the court of last resort — the Supreme Court — where nine judges appointed for life make monumental decisions that govern our everyday lives, from the contents of the nation’s daily newspapers to what we can do in the privacy of our own homes. With immense power and considerable mystery, the court of final appeal has helped author the history of America.
One Nation Under Law
One Nation Under Law examines the creation of the Court and follows it through the brink of the Civil War, paying particular attention to the fourth chief justice of the Supreme Court — John Marshall — and to his successor, Roger Taney. Marshall presided over one of the most famous cases before the Court; Taney, over one of the most infamous. In Marbury v. Madison (1803), Marshall used an obscure case involving an unsigned judicial appointment as an opportunity to assert the Court’s most important power — that of judicial review, which gives federal courts the right to strike down laws that clash with the Constitution. A half century later, in Dred Scott v. Sandford (1857), Taney exercised that same power against the national government, this time to protect slavery.”
Overview Between the birth of the Republic and the Civil War, the Supreme Court discovered its purpose and its fallibility. In Marbury v. Madison(1803), Chief Justice John Marshall asserted the power of judicial review and established the Courts purpose. Fifty-four years later, Marshalls successor, Chief Justice Roger Taney, exercised that power in Dred Scott v. Sandford (1857) to protect slavery and leave the fate of the Union to armies on the battlefield.
Themes Segment 1:Partisan Politics The early republics politics are raw and partisan. Outgoing President JohnAdams packs the courts with Federalist judges and sets the stage for a constitutional crisis.
Segment 2: Marbury v.Madison and Judicial Review Chief Justice John Marshall lectures President Jefferson on the rule of law and establishes the Court as the primary interpreter of the Constitution.
Segment 3: The Infamy of the Dred Scott Decision The Supreme Court puts the Constitution squarely on the side of slavery, ruling that Congress cannot prohibit it in the new territories and further, that African Americans are not and never can be citizens of the United States. The decision solved nothing and moved the nation closer to civil war.
- Do you think judges should take an active role in politics, as Justice Samuel Chase did in the election of 1800? Why or why not?
2.Why was the establishment of judicial review important to the concept of checks and balances?
3.What impact did the Dred Scott decision have on Congresss efforts to find compromise and avoid war? What impact did it have on slaves and free blacks?
- WE OFFER THE BEST CUSTOM PAPER WRITING SERVICES. WE HAVE DONE THIS QUESTION BEFORE, WE CAN ALSO DO IT FOR YOU.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS
Looking for unparalleled custom paper writing services? Our team of experienced professionals at AcademicWritersBay.com is here to provide you with top-notch assistance that caters to your unique needs.
We understand the importance of producing original, high-quality papers that reflect your personal voice and meet the rigorous standards of academia. That’s why we assure you that our work is completely plagiarism-free—we craft bespoke solutions tailored exclusively for you.
Why Choose AcademicWritersBay.com?
- Our papers are 100% original, custom-written from scratch.
- We’re here to support you around the clock, any day of the year.
- You’ll find our prices competitive and reasonable.
- We handle papers across all subjects, regardless of urgency or difficulty.
- Need a paper urgently? We can deliver within 6 hours!
- Relax with our on-time delivery commitment.
- We offer money-back and privacy guarantees to ensure your satisfaction and confidentiality.
- Benefit from unlimited amendments upon request to get the paper you envisioned.
- We pledge our dedication to meeting your expectations and achieving the grade you deserve.
Our Process: Getting started with us is as simple as can be. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top or the “Order Now” button at the bottom. You’ll be directed to our order form.
- Provide the specifics of your paper in the “PAPER DETAILS” section.
- Select your academic level, the deadline, and the required number of pages.
- Click on “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to provide your registration details, then “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT.”
- Follow the simple payment instructions and soon, our writers will be hard at work on your paper.
AcademicWritersBay.com is dedicated to expediting the writing process without compromising on quality. Our roster of writers boasts individuals with advanced degrees—Masters and PhDs—in a myriad of disciplines, ensuring that no matter the complexity or field of your assignment, we have the expertise to tackle it with finesse. Our quick turnover doesn’t mean rushed work; it means efficiency and priority handling, ensuring your deadlines are met with the excellence your academics demand.