Learning Goal: I’m working on a mathematics case study and need a sample draft to help me learn.
After your initial review of the operations and safety data sheets (SDS), you have determined the sampling you want to perform at Acme Automotive Parts (AAP). The table below lists hazards you want to sample and the sampling/analytical methods you decide to use. You can access the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) methods at and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) methods at .
Occupational Exposure Limits (OEL)
Manganese Fume (Welding)
5 mg/m3 (OSHA Ceiling)
Copper Fume (Welding)
0.1 mg/m3 (OSHA 8-hour TWA)
Lead Fume (Welding)
0.05 mg/m3 (OSHA 8-hour TWA)
1,2,4 trimethylbenzene (Paint)
25 ppm (ACGIH 8-hour TWA TLV)
50 ppm (ACGIH 8-hour TWA TLV)
100 ppm (OSHA 8-hour TWA)
Metal Working Fluids
0.5 mg/m3 (NIOSH 10-hour TWA REL)
Noise (throughout plant)
90 dBA (OSHA 8-hour TWA)
Choose one hazard from the welding area, one hazard from the paint area, and the metal working fluids, and prepare one paragraph for each hazard (three paragraphs in total) answering each of the following questions:
- Which sampling media will you be using?
- What flow rate will you use?
- How will you calibrate the sampling train?
- Calculate the minimum sampling time you will require to be able to detect concentrations at the OELs listed in the table. Show your work in calculating the sampling times.
- Will you collect personal or area samples? Explain why.
- Are there any compounds listed in the method that might interfere with your sample?
- Are there any special storage or shipment requirements for your samples?
Prepare one paragraph that concludes how you would evaluate noise exposures in the facility. Discuss what type of sampling instrument you would use, how you would perform calibration, whether you would use personal or area samples, and which areas at the facility you would include in the evaluation.
For this assignment, you will use the formula provided in the Sampling Duration section in Chapter 6 of the textbook. You need to find the limit of detection in the sampling method and choose an occupational exposure limit to use the formula. See the PowerPoint presentation in the study guide for an example.
Your assignment must be a minimum of two pages in length, not including title or reference pages. Your assignment must use at least two references. One must be gathered from the CSU Online Library; the other may be your textbook. All references and in-text citations must be formatted according to APA standards.
For the welding and paint areas, you will need to consult the listed Method and locate the Limit of Detection. Be sure the units for the LOD are consistent with the Occupational Exposure Limit.
For the welding data, you will not need to convert to milligrams per cubic meter.
For the paint data, you will need to convert parts per million to milligrams per cubic meter.
The sequence of calculations is as follows:
Get all units of measure to be in milligrams (or micrograms) per cubic meter of air.
To be able to convert parts per million to milligrams/micrograms per cubic meter of air you need the molecular weight of the compound (you can Google this or locate it in the Method).
Use the following equation to convert ppm to mg/m3:
X mg/m3 = (# ppm this is the exposure limit from the table) times (molecular weight from Google or Method))/24.45
To get required sampling time to reach the Limit of Detection you use:
# mg/m3 (from above) = Limit of Detection (from Method) divided by (X liters or volume needed) x (1 cubic meter/1000 liters conversion factor)
Solve for X and multiply by the sampling rate to get number of minutes.
X liters = LOD divided by mg/m3
Make sure your units are consistent!!
- WE OFFER THE BEST CUSTOM PAPER WRITING SERVICES. WE HAVE DONE THIS QUESTION BEFORE, WE CAN ALSO DO IT FOR YOU.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS
Looking for unparalleled custom paper writing services? Our team of experienced professionals at AcademicWritersBay.com is here to provide you with top-notch assistance that caters to your unique needs.
We understand the importance of producing original, high-quality papers that reflect your personal voice and meet the rigorous standards of academia. That’s why we assure you that our work is completely plagiarism-free—we craft bespoke solutions tailored exclusively for you.
Why Choose AcademicWritersBay.com?
- Our papers are 100% original, custom-written from scratch.
- We’re here to support you around the clock, any day of the year.
- You’ll find our prices competitive and reasonable.
- We handle papers across all subjects, regardless of urgency or difficulty.
- Need a paper urgently? We can deliver within 6 hours!
- Relax with our on-time delivery commitment.
- We offer money-back and privacy guarantees to ensure your satisfaction and confidentiality.
- Benefit from unlimited amendments upon request to get the paper you envisioned.
- We pledge our dedication to meeting your expectations and achieving the grade you deserve.
Our Process: Getting started with us is as simple as can be. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top or the “Order Now” button at the bottom. You’ll be directed to our order form.
- Provide the specifics of your paper in the “PAPER DETAILS” section.
- Select your academic level, the deadline, and the required number of pages.
- Click on “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to provide your registration details, then “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT.”
- Follow the simple payment instructions and soon, our writers will be hard at work on your paper.
AcademicWritersBay.com is dedicated to expediting the writing process without compromising on quality. Our roster of writers boasts individuals with advanced degrees—Masters and PhDs—in a myriad of disciplines, ensuring that no matter the complexity or field of your assignment, we have the expertise to tackle it with finesse. Our quick turnover doesn’t mean rushed work; it means efficiency and priority handling, ensuring your deadlines are met with the excellence your academics demand.